Thursday, April 05, 2012

Tweak Bird – Reservations (2008)


Volcom Entertainment VOL#09997

For me, there has always been some confusion as to whether this is an EP or an LP. I've spent a lot of time calling Reservations their first album. A habit which I can't seem to kick.
The whole thing is seven songs and just under twenty minutes. Three songs and seven minutes short of the self titled debut LP.
Weirdly the Aphex Twin Come To Daddy and Richard D. James releases are really similar to the Tweak Bird releases in terms of length and timing yet I've never had a problem there with definition.

This was a promo copy sent to me by Volcom Entertainment. It took me a couple of weeks to get around to listening to this and I finally stuck it on in my girlfriends (Now wife) car only to be instantly hooked. It is nursery rhyme like in places yet also manages to battle with the heaviest of Big Business and Melvins offerings (Which is no surprise being that Toshi Kasai and Dale Crover of the aforementioned band, respectively co-produced this EP).

Speaking of which; Tweak Bird played the Melvins curated ATP in Minehead, UK a while back. I was asked to drive these guys up with their kit, hang out for the weekend while watching the Butthole Surfers, Big Business, Squarepusher, Torche, Isis, Mastodon, Kool Keith and the Melvins play in their regular, 1983 and lite line ups. but I had a good friends wedding to go to which I just couldn't get away from. That still bums me out three and a half years later.
It wasn't all bad. I ended up organising a live show for Tweak Bird at the Volcom London store where they played for twenty-five minutes to about ninety people. It was a cool little affair and the Tweak Bird brothers Caleb and Ashton killed it.

You can check out Spaceships from that performance here:


Don't skip: Shivers, Whorses

No comments:

Post a Comment