Tuesday, April 10, 2012

High On Fire - Snakes for the Divine (2010)


Century Media ‎– 9979941

This was the first High On Fire LP I bought. In fact, it was the first High On Fire record I heard, which was odd as for about two years previous I had been listening quite heavily to guitarist and frontman Matt Pike's previous band, the legendary Sleep.
There was a bit of excitement around this release at work and I got swept up in it all, gave it a few listens and then shelled out the cash. After a few days, the audible link between Bastard Samurai and Sleep in general just kept leaping forward. It was only at this point that I realised the link between the two. Smart. I have no idea how I hadn't heard anything of these guys before this.

The LP kicks off with it's title track, eight and a half minutes of belting metal followed by Frost Hammer; probably their best titled track, ever. Just wait till Matt Pike howls that phrase. "FROST HAMMER!"
I can listen to those two songs over and over some days.

Don't skip: Snakes for the Divine, Frost Hammer, Bastard Samurai, Fire, Flood & Plague, How Dark We Pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment