Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Dinosaur Jr. – Jayloumurph (1992)


Hipdisk 03 CD

This would have been my first Dinosaur Jr. album bought sometime in '92. It's also probably the album I've listened to least by them - in fact, I've got singles which have had more plays.

The date of the show on the back cover is wrong. The same show was apparently released under the same name by an Italian label in 1988, but sources say the show was from 1989 making that release impossible. I guess the first version came at some point after 1989 and before this 1992 version was released.
The track names are mislabeled if labelled at all. I actually bought this thinking it was a regular album, and didn't realise it was some sort of live release sitting somewhere between official and bootleg.
Check out the old Virgin Megastore security strip on the back of the jewel case, too - those things were so fucking intrusive and rarely came off well.

Anyway, the sound quality is pretty good but J's vocals are mixed way too loud, even by Dinosaur Jr's standards.
It's probably a better album that I give it credit for but due to this release I didn't give these guys another shot until Without A Sound came out two years later. Therefore, I'm never going to favour it too kindly for denying me access to one of the best bands to have ever existed.

Don't skip: 'reak Scene (Freak Scene), Pull It (Yeah, We Know)

No comments:

Post a Comment