Friday, April 20, 2012

Lard - The Power Of Lard (1989)


Alternative Tentacles VIRUS72

I first heard The Power Of Lard on the intro of the 1996 Toy Machine video "Welcome To Hell" after which I promptly went out and bought the CD version. I picked up this vinyl version recently on eBay with one of my single bid only gambles.
The version on the Toy Machine video chops away the intro of the song and only uses the following minute and a half, roughly. It's lyrically probably the best part of the song but I would say that as Welcome To Hell is hands down my favourite skate video ever so it's largely bias at work here. Jello Biafra is on point here. Like, Dead Kennedy's on-point. Yup.

The songs on this EP are exclusive to this release. The second track 'Hellfudge' is a little forgettable - although whenever I see fudge, I tend to think of this band so perhaps it's not entirely forgettable (If a bit random)?

The final track 'Time to Melt' is a long slow burning 32 minute jam which took a while for me to get into. I bought the CD originally for the pre-skate hype on my walkman so this lengthy beast wasn't exactly what I was looking for at the time. However, if you want a more industrial (Ministry's Al Jourgensen is part of Lard, so what did you expect) take on Sludge Metal then this will be right up your street.

Don't skip: The Power Of Lard

No comments:

Post a Comment