Monday, April 16, 2012

Black Flag - My War (1984)


SST Records ‎– SST 023

I always thought this release was four or five deep in the Black Flag album lineage. I guess they released a good few 12" EP's between Damaged and here, losing me in the mix somewhere.

This album was my first Black Flag favourite - I got into Damaged and the Keith Morris stuff a few years later as this was the only recording I owned of theirs for a long time. I originally had it on tape, which I still have somewhere. I picked up this upgrade from cassette pretty cheap as I missed listening to the album.

My War - probably more than any other Black Flag record - covers the changes in their sound and style totally from start to finish. Side A only slightly moves on from the Damaged era punk rock whereas Side B is clearly influenced by the Black Sabbath's of this world and probably became the precursor to the likes of Flipper, Melvins and Nirvana.

Good shit. Keep it looping.

Don't skip: My War, Beat My Head Against the Wall, Nothing Left Inside

No comments:

Post a Comment