Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dinosaur Jr – Just Like Heaven (1989)


Blast First BFFP47

I really don't remember where I got this. I've never been one to buy 7's unless they are something really special. I guess it was probably some Dinosaur Jr. phase crossed with a 99p sale purchase or something.

In all likelihood the purchase was probably just a cheap way of getting a copy of Just Like Heaven which had been in Blind Skateboards "Video Days" VHS and was at the time probably etched into my mind from repeat viewings at my fake cousing Ben's house (We used to say we were cousins to everyone. Not sure why...We were good mates who knew each other through our dads who were good mates from school).
I never liked the way that song just ended in the video, so wanted the full thing. Turns out that was the full thing. I've always been surprised at Dinoasur Jr. settling on that ending. It's not that I don't like it...I am just left wanting more. What happened after the cut? Noise doesn't just end. Does it?

Throw Down is a forgettable little number clocking in at under a minute and Chunks (A Last Rights Song) is a classy hardcore blast from start to finish. Randomly, I didn't actually know this was a cover until about five minutes ago. "A Last Rites Song" refers to it originally being written and put out by the band Last Rites, as opposed to some sort of execution related ditty.

Don't skip: Just Like Heaven, Chunks (A Last Rights Song)

No comments:

Post a Comment