Friday, April 13, 2012

Snuff - Potatoes and Melons at Wholesale Prices Direct to You the Public (1997)


Deceptive ‎– BLUFF 042TN

I guess this was kind of the beginning of the end of classic Snuff. Sort of. I guess people would say that 'classic' Snuff would be everything up until the split around the time of Reach coming out - but in terms of sound, they'd reformed a few years before and released Demmamussabebonk which I think totally continued their original legacy barely skipping a beat. In fact, 'classic' Snuff in my terms probably ended around 2000 when they stopped releasing on Deceptive Records. I mean, dub Snuff songs (Of which there is a quick glimmer here)? C'mon.
Anyway - I'm sure most would agree that Demmamussabebonk was the last solid release where you could listen from start to finish happily. The two EP's following continued to show that the almighty Snuff were capable of bashing out punk rock records without a problem. Until this one.

This record has a fair few covers; Theme From Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads is a better version that that of the Christmas single although you can probably skip past the Magic Moments and Rivers of Babylon tracks here.

I picked this up while I was at university. It turned out that the Deceptive offices were in the middle of my university site pretty much (Well, sort of - South Bank Uni was just a bunch of buildings on a regular road as opposed to a proper campus) so during a break I decided to knock on their door and try my luck to see if they had any random or rare Snuff stuff lying about I could buy. Sadly there was nothing rare but of the two people working there, the friendly girl offered up a surprise new release they were just about to start sending out.
Good timing, huh?

Don't skip: Come and Gone, Ye Olde Folke Twatte, Theme From Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads

No comments:

Post a Comment