Saturday, April 07, 2012

Flying Medallions, The – We Love Everybody And Everything's Great! (1994)


Acupuncture ‎– JIZLP1

This album is great. It's like Conflict having a laugh. Crass on laughing gas.
God only knows where I picked it up (I have the CD, too which I picked up in Soho - but I'll post that later), but awareness of the Medallions definitely came through a group of friends who had seen them support Bad Religion and loved them from there on in.
I used to go to almost all of the Medallions gigs I could get to as their live shows were always carnage. Plus they would always play these great new songs which never ended up being released.
There's kind of a gnarly tale with these guys. On tour they ended up in a van crash and their bassist died. 'Tasha, the girl in the group left not long after and from there on in, it all sort of headed into a downward spiral of drink and drugs. That's the loose, rough version from an outsider who likely doesn't know what he is talking about.

Alex - one of the singers and likely the main man behind it all - used to work in M-Zone skate shop in London. I don't really remember him from there, and wasn't aware until my mate Ray who used to work there told me. Alex is a loose mate who I am always stoked to catch up with when I see him. He is now sober, skating again and in a pretty funny outfit called Wonk Unit. If you get chance to see them live, make sure you do. It's rad that he is on it again these days, making music and from what I can tell loving everybody as everything is great!

Don't skip: Boy Racer, Gluey, Rapist, Sharon.

No comments:

Post a Comment