Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Melvins - 1983 (2012)



Amphetamine Reptile Records ‎– AmRep 087

I picked this up a few weeks back via Discogs at a pretty reasonable price from a UK seller. I guess there are people out there selling relatively new Melvins records who aren't just professional flippers.

I tried to get this via the AmpRep website when it came out but these things tend to sell out within a matter of minutes. I did grab the CD at that point though. I'll post that sometime in the future, maybe.

The vinyl itself is a pretty amazing tri-colour. I like the idea that therefore no actual two copies will be identical. This could probably fuck some record collectors heads up, I'm sure.

This is the reformed (almost) 1983 lineup of the Melvins recording new stuff in the old Melvins style. Although, I'd kind of disagree that it is exactly in that style. Maybe that's just down to the honed talent and refined songwriting skill that the years have afforded them? I feel it's a lot more Ozma era aside from the final song. Either way, it's cool.
"Walters Lips" is a simple but killer tune. There was an instrumental demo version on the Mangled Demos From 1983 (Released in 2005), but the added lyrics make is a solid punk rock blast.

All of these songs reappeared on the Melvins 1983 LP "Tres Cabrones" which came out a year later.

Does the fact that these are all now LP tracks from the same LP negate this as an EP and make it a single?

Don't Skip: Walters Lips, Stick Em-Up Bitch

No comments:

Post a Comment