Friday, May 11, 2012

Dead Kennedys - Bedtime for Democracy (1986)


Alternative Tentacles VIRUS50 UK Release

The DK's last proper album. I had this on CD originally. I will get that up on here at some point, I guess. I should as it was my entry point into the Dead Kennedy's.

The main reason I picked this up was for the artwork. The cover is amazing and you just couldn't get into the detail on the CD. The vinyl also has a mock newspaper included but I blew it here as this second hand version doesn't seem to have that included. Whether this is some later pressing which doesn't include that, I don't know.

Bedtime for Democracy is a step back to a time before Frankenchrist. Five minute plus jams are out. Aside from two or three songs everything on here is roughly two minutes or less in length.
The pace is frantic throughout and probably deserves a little more attention that previous releases which I reckon you can enjoy without giving over your full focus...Honestly. You can listen to Police Truck or California Über Alles and probably learn all the lyrics within a couple of listens whilst also doing the cooking or playing video games. 
Bedtime for Democracy really works in a far better way if you take the time to sit down and listen on your own. Give it a shot.

Don't Skip: Dear Abby, Cesspools in Eden, Gone With My Wind, Anarchy For Sale

No comments:

Post a Comment