Thursday, May 03, 2012

Butthole Surfers - Piouhgd (1991)


Rough Trade R260-1

This is the Rough Trade original release. I was always surprised that the London-based store had a record label. I just knew it as the place beneath Slam City Skates with all of the signatures on the ceiling and a healthy dose of punk rock records.

This was the second release from the Butthole's that I owned after the Hurdy Gurdy Man CD single...and it's kind of surprising that I continued buying releases from these guys after this. Hurdy Gurdy Man is a straight Donovan cover which I loved - so I was after more of the same; but this was all a bit too out there. Or lazy. I guess that depends on your viewpoint.
Hurdy Gurdy Man is by far the best track here. Blindman and Something aren't bad and Lonesome Bulldog (Which is clearly a piss-take) is cool in it's own odd way but I'm not too sure of the need for it to be on here four times, despite clearly getting more twisted with each play. It's just a gag which doesn't work too well. 

Piouhgd is just not a record I went back to often. I sort of wish I liked it more, but the Butthole Surfers definitely have far better releases out there.

Don't skip: Hurdy Gurdy Man

No comments:

Post a Comment